District Dunkirk City SchoolRecommended treatment for Head LiceFirst, at the infested persons and infested family members. Standard treatment consists of using an OVER THE COUNTER or PRESCRIPTION Medication.
Follow these steps:
1. Before applying treatment, change into a t-shirt, or sleeveless shirt.
2. Apply lice medicine according to label instructions. If your child has extra long hair,
you may need to use another bottle of lice medicine.
*** Do NOT shampoo hair or use conditioner before applying lice medicine. Do not rewash hair for 1-2 days after using the lice medicine.
3. Have the infested person put on clean clothing AFTER treatment.
4. If LIVE LICE are still found 8-12 hours after treatment, but are moving more slowly than before, do NOT retreat. Comb dead and remaining live lice out of the hair. The medicine sometimes takes longer to kill the lice.
5. If NO dead lice are found 8-12 hours after treatment and lice seem as active as before, the medicine did not work. See your health care provider for a different medication and follow your doctor"s treatment instructions.
6. A nit comb should be used to remove nits and lice from the hair shaft.
7. After treatment, check hair every 2-3 days and use a nit comb to remove any nits or lice you see. This should be done for 3 weeks to 1 month after the first treatment.
8. Retreat in 7-10 days, as recommended on the lice treatment package.
SECOND; Treat the Household.
1. To kill lice and nits, machine wash all washable clothing and bed linens that the
infested person touched or used during the 2 days before treatment. Use the hot water cycle (130 F) to wash clothes. Dry laundry using the hot cycle for at least 20 minutes.
2. Dry clean clothing that is not washable such as coats, hats, scarves, etc. OR
3. STORE ALL CLOTHING, stuffed animals, comforters, etc. that cannot be washed or dry-cleaned into a plastic bag and seal for 2 weeks.
4. Soak combs and brushes for 1 hour in rubbing alcohol, Lysol, or wash with soap & hot water.
5. Vacuum the floor and all upholstered furniture.